Flagstaff Shelter Services is the largest emergency shelter in Northern Arizona. Spearheaded by Executive Director Ross Altenbaugh, the organization has provided life-saving services to thousands of people in crisis.
Our leadership is committed to eliminating homelessness in Flagstaff. We provide emergency shelter and services year-round, 24/7, to anyone experiencing homelessness or in danger of becoming homeless, regardless of circumstance.
Under the leadership of its staff and board, Flagstaff Shelter Services has helped hundreds of people experiencing homelessness in Coconino County have achieved housing stability since 2015.
Flagstaff Shelter Services is currently accepting applications for its Junior Board. Contact us to learn more about how to get involved.
Ross Altenbaugh, Executive Director
In August of 2014, Ross Altenbaugh moved from Richmond, Virginia to Flagstaff, Arizona. In Richmond, Ross was the Executive Director of Housing Families First, a multi-dimensional housing program for families experiencing homelessness. Virginia Housing Coalition named Ross as one of the top 40 under 40 in Housing in Virginia in 2013. Additionally, Ross was chosen by The Greater Richmond Community Foundation as a 2014 recipient of the Stettinius Awards for Nonprofit Leadership. The Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce and the Arizona Daily Sun named Ross one of 2017’s Top 20 Under 40.
Ross began her work as the Executive Director of Flagstaff Shelter Services in August 2014 and is working to bring housing strategies to clients that are experiencing homelessness. In August 2015, the Arizona Department of Housing named FSS the 2015 Housing Hero for Innovative Supportive Housing in Arizona. And in 2019, FSS was named Nonprofit of the Year in Social Services by AzBusiness Angels.
Since 2014, Flagstaff Shelter Services has permanently housed over 500 individuals and families, provides year round emergency shelter for all who need it and has expanded its physical campus and service provision to work with more neighbors experiencing homelessness in Northern Arizona. Email Ross
Dr. Anne Newland (Board Chair)
- North Country HealthCare, Chief Executive Officer
Lauren Lauder, MBA, MSW, LISAC (Vice Chair)
- The Guidance Center, Inc., Chief Executive Officer
Jacki Lenners (Secretary)
- NAIPTA, Marketing Manager
- Federal Public Defender Office – District of Arizona, Assistant Federal Public Defender
- NARBHA Institute Wurgler Chair of Criminology Justice and Behavioral Health
- Director of Community Engagement, Bella Investment Group, LLC
- Neighborhood Homes, Owner
- Flagstaff Police Department, Lieutenant
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, Senior Gift Planning Office
- United States Geological Survey, Physical Scientist
Dr. Richard Neff
- Northern Arizona Healthcare, System Clinical Innovation Officer
- Kinney Construction Services, President
- System Patient Safety Program Manager at Northern Arizona Healthcare